The Vanderbilt family had amassed a great collection of art work a century ago. This treasure trove was housed at the family’s Marble House, in Newport, Rhode Island. However gradually this collection got scattered and went to different hands. When the house closed in 1925, the collection was bought by art collector and circus entrepreneur John Ringling. One can now see the collection at the John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota, Florida.
But now for a few days, the art works will go back to their original abode. Almost 300 pieces of Medieval and Renaissance art will be displayed at the red walled Gothic Room of the Marble House in October. Other Newport mansions along with the Marble House are preserved and operated by The Preservation Society of Newport County. The house was built in 1892 for the railroad tycoon William K. Vanderbilt and his wife, Alva.
Built at the eye popping cost of $11 million, it held the distinction of being the most expensive house in America that time. The splendid collection amongst many other items has 15th-century Italian paintings, beautifully painted terra cotta busts, several wax portrait medallions of dignitaries as King Henry II of France and pope Benedict XIV and pope Clement XI.